At the Development Level within our Development Pathway, Voyager utilises Tennis Australia’s foundation program 'Tennis Hotshots'.
The Tennis Hotshots program is Tennis Australia’s official development program for children. With smaller courts, lighter racquets and low compression tennis balls that don’t bounce too high and move slower, makes learning tennis fun and easy for kids.
The learning through play philosophy encourages kids to have fun, learn tactical skills in tennis situations, improve their motor skills and build social skills. Tennis Hot Shots incorporates four progressive stages to help develop children’s skills and confidence at their own pace:
- Blue: Ages 3-5
- Red: Ages 5-8
- Orange: Ages 8-12
- Green: Ages 10-14 (Advanced)
Most children aged 10 and under will have a lot of trouble covering a full-sized tennis court, resulting in shorter rallies and poor technique.
By reducing the size of the tennis court, children are able to develop more realistic footwork patterns, better technique and experience rallies, making learning tennis more fun and achievable.
The tennis hotshots program has a number of fantastic benefits for kids. They include:
- Developing fundamental motor skills such as agility, balance, coordination, striking, throwing, catching and running which will all improve their tennis greatly as well as compliment many other sports as well
- Improving social skills by spending time with other kids learning, competing and particpating in team games and activities
- Develop self esteem and confidence through improvement and progression
- Increased discipline. Our fun classes have rules based around listening, applying 100% effort and being respectful to others and Kids who step out of line will be disciplined appropriately
- Learning how to play the sport of tennis which is one of the only sports you can play for life. Once kids learn the basic tennis skills, they have those for the rest of their life.
At Voyager Tennis, one of our goals is to show each player how to play to the best of their ability.
Below are a couple of suggestions to help your child progress more quickly in the Tennis Hotshots program.
1. Increase the amount of playing time each week, whether that's another group lesson; a hit with a sibling, another player in their group or mum and dad. Every extra hour of practice can make a big difference in how quickly a player can improve.
2. Have a private lesson. Even a 30 minute weekly lesson can make a massive difference with your child being able to pick up better technical habits or tactical understanding.
3. Play in a Hotshots challenge. We run Hotshots Challenges once per term which are a great introduction to tennis competition in a friendly and fun format.
4. Enter a weekly comp. In most areas of Sydney there are weekly competitions available. For those with enough tennis experience, you can team up with a friend and play together every weekend against other teams.
The hotshots program has a natural progression depending on what age group your child is in:
- Tiny Tots: Ages 3-5
- Red Ball: Ages 5-8
- Orange ball: 8-12
- Green ball: 10-14
Around 10-15% of our Hotshots students who are showing the most amount of progress are invited into our Selective Program. This program is designed for players who would like to experience rapid progress and make tennis their number one sport. Read more about our selective program.
Voyager Tennis has one of the best coaching teams in Australia. In the Hotshots program, we always aim to have experienced energetic coaches teaching the kids.
Read more about our the Voyager Tennis Coaching team.
At Voyager Tennis Academy, we provide a development pathway for kids as young as 3 and adults, right through to elite players competing at the highest level in Australia. Our programs are designed to complement the development pathway, as shown in this graphic.